It is important to the Board that our congregation is kept informed on discussions that are taking place and decisions that are being made for the good of the United Parish of Bowie. Minutes of Board meetings, along with agendas, monthly financial statements, and the pastor’s report, are kept in a binder in the church library.
In the past few months, the Board has been at work in several different areas including:
- The budget was presented to the congregation on Sunday January 23rd, it was approved. A deficit is projected for this year. If we have any issues, our reserve fund will cover it.
- We nominated Doug Snyder for the Seabury Celebration of Service (UCC).
- The Board approved to continue serving communion on the first Sunday of each month as well as Maundy Thursday.
- The yearly ZimZam mission donation of $2,500 was again approved for 2022 which comes from the Carl Bickel Fund. This is the second year donating.
- Diane is still working out the logistics for getting a new outdoor digital sign.
- The board has approved the use of the Congregation Assessment Tool or CAT. The CAT is a customizable assessment instrument that can help you as a leader measure the level of satisfaction and energy in the congregation you lead. Sue Kennedy will be our contact person.
- LeQuan Turner will start an internship with UPB
- Sue Kennedy and Cathie Lambert volunteered to be on the Nominating Committee as Board representatives.
- There will be no Lenten dinners this year due to COVID restrictions.
- We will have joint worship with Village Baptist Church during Holy Week.
- The financial status is moving along smoothly.
- Jan Barbato volunteered and was approved to be our new board secretary for 2022. Diane Eades was nominated and approved as the new vice-moderator for 2022 Board. Cathie Lambert volunteered and was approved to continue as treasurer for 2022.
- Erma has agreed to continue as a representative of UPB at UCC. Linda Rawlings will represent UPB at Presbytery.
- The following board members agreed to serve as liaisons for the following committees:
- Membership and Fellowship – Jan Barbato
- Mission and Service – Judy Farrell
- Children, Youth and Family – Sue Kennedy
- Stewardship and Finance – Cathie Lambert
- Communication – Cathie Lambert
- Christian Spiritual Formation – Diane Eades
The Board is meant to represent the membership of the United Parish. Please feel free to contact any Board member or Pastor Chris with your ideas, suggestions and/or concerns. Board members for 2022 are Sue Kennedy, Jan Barbato, Cathie Lambert, Sherita Williams-Smith, Linda Rawlings, Judy Farrell and Diane Eades.