It is important to the Board that our congregation is kept informed on discussions that are taking place and decisions that are being made for the good of the United Parish of Bowie. Minutes of Board meetings, along with agendas, monthly financial statements, and the pastor’s report, are kept in a binder in the church library.
In the past few months, the Board has been at work in several different areas including:
- Pastor Chris and the Board continued a discussion of the Acts of the Apostles during the July, August, and September Board meetings. Also, individual Board members led a discussion on a sermon or scripture passage from a worship service from the previous month at the July and August Board meetings.
- Pastor Chris introduced the plan to hold a FUNdraiser at Texas Roadhouse during a monthly family night there. The restaurant returns 10% of the food cost to the organization using special coupons
- Another plan to complement the coupon donation was to hold a raffle at the same time and place. Further inquiries yielded four donated tickets to the Washington NFL team’s local game.
- Future possible Mission Giving opportunities include Wider Circle and Chrysalis House in Silver Spring
- The Barber Shop across Mount Oak was interested in using our facilities for a post-repairs celebration of sorts using our parking lot and yard.
- Celebration Sunday (formerly known as Consecration Sunday) will be on October 14th.
- The Board continues to review and update existing UPB policy documents, including identifying those that have not yet been developed. Some policies that still need to be developed are: Recordkeeping by the Treasurer, Disaster Preparedness, Communications, and Receiving Gifts.
The Board is meant to represent the membership of the United Parish. Please feel free to contact any Board member or Pastor Chris with your ideas, suggestions and/or concerns. Board members for 2018 are Gene Barbato, Mary Bird, Sharon Doughty, Terry Drown, Sue Kennedy, Cathie Lambert and Nancy Snyder.